About Me

My photo
Stockbridge, Ga, United States
I am married to the love of my life and blessed to be the mom of 6 amazing kids, 5 here on earth and one I long to see again in heaven. We are entering our third decade of parenting together, and love all the blessings along this journey. I am a homeschool mom,a writer, a trainer, and a speaker, but mostly I am a sinner saved by grace who desperately desires to encourage others on this path and to live a life that brings Glory to the One who saved me.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

USA Geography and state capitols

So this competency bag took me a bit longer to accomplish than some of the others, but it's such a cool concept I just had to try it, and I love the way it turned out. The biggest part of this one is paint sample chips-free and easily accessible, so it works well in the budget!

I started with 10 colors of paint chips. (Get a few pieces of each color). My samples had a dot already perforated on one side so I used that for the clothes pins, but you could easily cut a circle out if your doesn't come that way. Glue a color onto 10 different clothespins (or however many you would like to use per page.)

The next task was creating maps that could be labeled. I broke the states down into 10 per page on 5 pages so it wasn't as overwhelming to try to locate all 50. At the top of each page, I listed the states to be found on that page, and then glued a small square from the same color paint chips.
Then I draw a line from each state to the side of the page. Like this.
I laminated the charts so they can be used again and again, and I would be glad to share them if you want to email me for them. The task is simply to identify the state by the correct color clothespin. This concept can really be used for anything that requires labeling, like systems in the body, or life cycles of plants or animals. Once the clothespins are ready, you can simply keep the colors on the charts the same and use them again and again!

So that covered my state labeling part, but I wanted some work on state capitols as well. I found a gem at Dollar Tree (Love that place!!) one pack of cards that lists each state on a flashcard and one that list the name of the capitols. TA DA!! Matching game for a whopping total of $2!
So my bag contains the components to cover some basic geography and capitols as well! Should keep her entertained for a while and will sharpen those skills nicely!


No comments:

Post a Comment