About Me

My photo
Stockbridge, Ga, United States
I am married to the love of my life and blessed to be the mom of 6 amazing kids, 5 here on earth and one I long to see again in heaven. We are entering our third decade of parenting together, and love all the blessings along this journey. I am a homeschool mom,a writer, a trainer, and a speaker, but mostly I am a sinner saved by grace who desperately desires to encourage others on this path and to live a life that brings Glory to the One who saved me.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Greater than/Less than Competency bag

I must say that this bag gave my laminator quite a work out, but the end result was so worth it! I wanted a fun way to teach the Greater than/Less than concept, and a friend mentioned that she used a Pac Man symbol. From there this bag was born.

Materials needed:
Scrapbook paper
Tin gift card holder (I got mine for $1 at Dollar Tree)
magnet tape

So I started with cutting out three shapes- the Pac Man is the "greater than" symbol, the monster is the "less than" symbol, and then a square "equal" sign. I typed up a really random group of numbers, making sure I had several duplicate ones so the equal sign could be used. The amount of numbers isn't as relevant as the variety. I wanted to make sure I had some 1,2, and 3 digit numbers to show place value. I cut everything out, glued the numbers to scrapbook paper, laminated everything and put a small piece of magnet tape on the back of each.

So there are several ways to use this. The tin is a great metallic surface for assembling the equations.
Jamie can put 2 numbers up then choose the right symbol, or we can put 1 number and 1 symbol and have her choose a number that makes the statement true.

The symbol pieces store nicely in the bin. I also included some laminated true/false cards for extra dry erase reinforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment